D.E.S, is standing at a significant milestone in its cherished history of service to the cause of education. Steeped in the glorious tradition set by its illustrious founders – Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Gopal Ganesh Agarkar, Vishnushastri Chiplunkar, Prin. Vaman Shivram Apte and Mahadeo Ballal Namjoshi.The seed was sown by the four
young men in 1880 by starting New English School in Pune, the
name that subsequently set a trend far and wide. The school
made rapid progress and within a short time acquired widespread reputation for its high standards of education.
24th October, 1884 is the day that marks the beginning of a
journey that continues to this day and would continue for eons
to come. By founding the Deccan Education Society on what
happens to be one of the most auspicious days in the Hindu
calendar (‘Vijaya Dashsami’), these great stalwarts embarked on a
path that would, they were convinced, lead the masses to a new
awakening and salvation. They believed in education as the best means
of social transformation. With faith and determination, they
steadfastly pursued their mission and the acorn of the yesteryears
grew into an oak. Time has vindicated their faith and vision.
In less than three months, the fledgling Society started what is today one of the most illustrious, renowned and highly esteemed institutions – Fergusson College, even the mere mention of which evokes reverential and proud feelings in the hearts of millions.
It has achieved an iconic.The DES family was growing. There were significant landmark occasions in its life, when, for instance, the Society decided - on the occasion of the Golden Jubilee of Fergusson College in 1935 - to start a technology institute on its campus, and later started Brihan Maharashtra College of Commerce in 1943, only the second single-faculty commerce college in the then Bombay province.Today, Deccan Education Society is a dynamic conglomeration of well over 45 educational institutions, acknowledged as centres of quality education, with firm commitment to the pursuit of excellence.
The DES institutions – at Pune, Mumbai, Sangli, Satara and Wai range from pre-primary schools to post-graduate and research institutions.They include primary, secondary and higher-secondary schools, degree colleges in Arts, Science and Commerce, Management, Agriculture and Law with facilities for post-graduate studies in several subjects, institutes of technical and vocational education, and the recently started colleges of nursing and physiotherapy.
he society established many schools and colleges in Pune and other towns during following decades such as New English School of Satara in 1899. The society took over the Mawjee Madhavjee English School in Umbergaon in 1919, and the Dravid High School of Wai in 1934. In 1919, the society opened the Willingdon College in Sangli in order to satisfy demand for higher education in southern Maharashtra region.
In 1939, the Society deceded to enter the field of secondary education for girls by starting the Ahilyadevi High School for Girls in the historic premises of the Holkar Wada in Pune.In 1943, the society started the Brihan Maharashtra College of Commerce, for which the Brihan Maharashtra Sugar Syndicate Ltd. gave to the Society a donation of Rs. 2,00,000. Rulers of many Princely states such as Bhor and Sangli were patrons of the society.
In 1996, the society opened the Chintamanrao Institute of Management Development And Research in Sangli in order to satisfy demand for higher education in southern Maharashtra region.